Town of Sumpter Plan Commission meets on an “as needed” basis on the second Monday of the month, prior to the regular board meeting.
Effective in July 2003, the Town of Sumpter passed a Town Ordinance which adopted the State of Wisconsin UDC, which stands for the “Uniform Dwelling Code”. According to our ordinance, all building site plans must be approved by the plan commission and town board before building permits can be issued.
The Town Board encourages everyone to contact any board member, plan commission member, or the town clerk before starting a building or remodeling project to check the status of permit requirements for the project.
Town Ordinance 3-03 states that “no owner shall alter, in excess of $1,000.00 value in any twelve month period, build, add onto or alter any building within the scope of this ordinance without first obtaining a building permit for such work from the town’s building inspector.”
Construction that requires a building permit includes, but is not limited to:
- New buildings
- Additions that increase the physical dimensions of a building including decks.
- Alterations to the building structure, cost shall include market labor value, or alterations to the building’s heating, electrical or plumbing systems.
- Replacement of major building equipment, including furnaces, and central air conditioners, and water heaters.
- Alteration of plumbing, venting, electrical or gas supply systems
- Any electrical wiring for new construction or remodeling
- Any plumbing for new construction or remodeling
- Storage sheds and storage buildings
The following construction activities shall NOT require a building permit:
- Re-siding, re-roofing, and finishing of interior surfaces, installation of cabinetry, and repairs which are deemed minor by the Building Inspector. Notwithstanding this section, however, a permit accompanied by structural load-bearing calculations shall be required for re-roofing a building if the proposed re-roofing would constitute a third, or more, layer of roofing.
- Normal repairs of HV/AC, plumbing, and electrical equipment or systems.
WHEN IN DOUBT, PLEASE CALL AND CHECK BEFORE STARTING A PROJECT. AVOID BEING RED-TAGGED, AND FRUSTRATING DELAYS. These guidelines are for your benefit to speed you through the permitting process as easily and speedily as possible.
Plan Commission Members
Prairie du Sac, WI 53578